Published on August 21, 2013
The pews at St. Luke’s are comfortable enough … … but they have a story to tell as well. It’s the story of our faith, of Christianity itself. The original pews, installed in 1923, were deemed unsatisfactory. They sat only four or five people on each side and they left empty space that could be better used. So, in 1966, new pews were ordered from the American Seating Company of Grand Rapids, Michigan – seventeen rows on each side of the central aisle, capable of seating seven (at a pinch, nine) people in each row. On the end of each row, on both the center aisle and the side aisle, is a carving (the same one at each end of the row). Each carving depicts a symbol, and each symbol tells a part of the story of salvation.