Today we are featuring an interview with Zipeng Zhu, art director and graphic designer. His style is exuberant, colorful, “a razzle-dazzle musical”, as he would describe it. He did an internship with Paula Scher and got hired by Sagmeister & Walsh just before graduating. We’re super impressed by his resume, so we felt honored when he agreed to do the interview with us.
What’s your greatest satisfaction in being a designer?
The greatest satisfaction for me would be the ability to express myself / my value / my point of view through my work.
Do you ever suffer creative blocks? If so, how do you get through them?
Creative blocks happen super often, I normally just keep working till I come up with something. (I do take breaks just not think about it sometimes, walk around neighborhood helps)
What are your favorite design books or magazines?
Favorite design book (at the moment): COVER by Peter Mendelsund
Do you prefer working with a team or alone? Why?
I prefer working with either myself or with a very small team. I just think it’s more intimate and more manageable, makes the communication easier and more clear.
You’ve worked on various design projects including packaging, typography, branding, illustration, print, film, editorial. Do you have a favorite type of project?
I don’t, and that’s why I do so many different kinds of projects.
We loved your Valentina Kova lookbook. How do you define good editorial design?
I think good editorial design expresses the content without overshadowing it.
Any advice for an aspiring designer?
Be honest and real to your own self.
Name one thing on your bucket list.
Probably direct a music video.
- 60 marketing ideas for realtors - February 22nd, 2017
- 50 ways to promote your photography business - February 9th, 2017
- Freebie: February 2017 wallpaper calendar desktop background - January 31st, 2017
- Top flipbooks of December 2016 - December 29th, 2016
- Freebie: January 2017 wallpaper calendar desktop background - December 27th, 2016
- Design trends in 2017 – see what experts predict - December 15th, 2016
- Interview with Zipeng Zhu - December 13th, 2016
- Free tools for designing a stunning press kit - December 8th, 2016
- Interview with Debbie Millman - December 6th, 2016
- Top flipbooks of November 2016 - November 29th, 2016