A beautiful magazine cover can help you sell it. The designer should have an extensive knowledge of aesthetics, typography, placement and also the psychological profile of the readers. Not everybody can design a successful magazine cover.
Here are our tips for beautiful magazine covers:
In the same time, each issue should look different enough from the previous one to make sure the readers know it is a new issue. For the same purpose you should add the date and the price on the cover.
Work with a grid. It will help you organize and align all the elements of your design to make it look neat and professional.
Decide on a focus point and build everything else around it. Fashion magazines usually feature models as the cover focus point, but you can use a different photo of an object or a headline. In the first image from this post (BHG) the chair is the focal point.
Fonts & typography
There are some words that usually appear in headlines, because they attract readers: “New”, “Free”, “Gifts” and “Exclusive”. We recommend using them simply because they proved they work.
There are usually between 4-10 words in cover headlines.
Color & contrast
It doesn’t matter that much which color you choose to the dominant color. Green is the least used color on cover pages, while red is the most used. The most important thing when we talk about the use of color in cover pages is that you use contrast to make certain elements pop out (title, model, headline)
You can also think about coordinating colors for a chic look (copy a color from the photo and use it on different elements from your cover page).
If there’s a person’s portrait is featured on the cover, he/she should be looking at the camera. The eye-contact will draw the attention of the readers.
It’s also recommended that the model on the cover is on transparent or solid color background. It will be really hard to make the headlines stand out if they are placed on top of a patterned or mixed-color background.
Generally speaking, photos perform better than illustrations for the cover page. For a fun look you can mix the two, or add some drawings on photos.
Check us out on Pinterest to see more magazine covers!
- 10 fashion lookbook examples for design inspiration - March 23rd, 2017
- Social media analytics tools comparison 2017 - March 17th, 2017
- Everything you need to know about the editor redesign - March 16th, 2017
- Free customer persona template + worksheets to create your own - March 9th, 2017
- 10 reasons why you should be a writer [Infographic] - March 6th, 2017
- March 2017 calendar download for desktop background - February 24th, 2017
- 60 marketing ideas for realtors - February 22nd, 2017
- 50 ways to promote your photography business - February 9th, 2017
- Freebie: February 2017 wallpaper calendar desktop background - January 31st, 2017
- Top flipbooks of December 2016 - December 29th, 2016