Loose blind and curtain cords/chains—particularly those with loops—are dangerous. Children have died when the loop went over their head or they got tangled in loose cords while: •sleepinginacotorbedwherecordsarehanging •playingnearcords •standingonachair,sofaorbedtolookout a window. Children do not understand that a cord/chain wrapped around their neck can tighten and strangle them in just a ew minutes i they sit down, roll around or climb down to the foor. Between 2001 and 2008 at least 11 children have died in this way. Nine o these were children under three years o age. In the US, a child aged between seven months and 10 years dies each month ater being strangled on curtain and blind cords.